Tuesday, December 17, 2013

semicolon

Hi everyone,

In our lesson today, we learned how to use comma, colon and semicolon. It was new and interesting for me to have this lesson, because I have never learned nor used colon and semicolon in my essay.

Therefore, I wanted to use these punctuations correctly, so I searched on internet for correct usage. There, I found interesting picture.




In this picture, difference between comma, semicolon and period are clearly explained with the illust of bear, and I thought this was very understandable.

This site I found clearly explains interesting factors with comic, so I would  like to recommend this site to those of you who are not very good at grammar like me!
Here is the link to the site;

Learning about grammar, I felt how normally do not think deeply about English grammars. I think most of the returnee students have the same problem, because we learned English naturally. We do not think too much about grammars, so that makes us say “this sentence is grammatically wrong, and I know the correct answer, but I cannot explain”. I had this experience in my public junior school in Japan, when I just came back from International School. My friends wanted me to teach them English, but I did not know how. This was a large complex for me, and I think this experience made me to work for part-time job as an English teacher.

I hope you will have nice Christmas holiday! :)

3 comments:

  1. Nice pic! what you thought about grammar applies to me too! I don't really care about grammar while writing something in English. When I write an essay, I depend on Grammarly, so I don't even try to learn grammar today. it's good oppotunity to restudy it, otherwise I won't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miku:)
    As I started to learn English in Japanese school, I was afraid of speaking English because of too much worry about grammar. In writing, we can correct mistakes many times before showing the work to other people, but in speaking we can't (though it's possible to correct afterwards, by saying like "Sorry, I mean..."). So, I was afraid that a listener (of my saying) understand the meaning in an unexpected/different way from what I wanted to tell him/her due to grammar mistakes. After I experienced studying abroad, I noticed that the important thing is to show an attitude that I want to tell something first, rather than being quiet with thinking about the grammar of what I'm going to say, and consequently miss a chance to speak. That's why I now speak fairly broken English so I need to learn grammar again... but anyway, it's true that too much care about grammar could be hindrance for many Japanese people to speak English.
    Sorry for my too long comment ><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miku,

    Thanks for all these great posts! You are doing all the right things: showing that you are engaged and reading the material, relating it to yourself, and finding and passing on interesting information to others (I love the punctuation bears!). Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete